We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Lake george dog park update
Just received an email from the mayor informing the board of what is coming down at my neighborhood dog park. A few updates for everyone.
1. The city wants to expand the size of the playground. This has been on the books since 2006. In December the city received grant money from the NACo office for the expansion which was awarded to them in July 2009. The city will be meeting with our attorney on Monday of this week to work out the details of the expansion.
2. They have also decided to close the park after dark. I know this is not really a huge issue but I want everyone to know why this is happening. The city recently hired a new law enforcement officer to enforce the park hours. They have been enforcing the hours on the weekends because the new officer had not been trained on how to enforce it yet. We also have new officers in every neighborhood in the city. As a result of all the officers they will no longer be able to cover the entire park and will therefore be closing it at night.
3. The city is now going to be using the park on the weekends for a lot of activities. This is good news for the park but the timing is terrible. I received an email today that they are using the park for the summer concert series and our local park theater group to use the park on the weekends as well.
4. This was also in the email. The new law enforcement officer will be covering the park at night on the weekends. He will also be using dogs at night. This is not a good thing for dogs that are scared of it. My understanding is that this officer has not been through any training on working with dogs yet. This is not a bad idea for our park. It could help with crime prevention.
5. We also received the proposal for the park master plan. This plan will help the city as a whole with where the park is located. It was not my favorite proposal to be put out to the neighborhood. There was a proposal that was more of a park like area in the east park and less of a naturalistic area. This plan is more similar to the one that was in front of the commission. I am very happy with it. It will look great and will really create a nice environment for people to walk and use the park. It is set up more like what I was originally told I could expect to have in my park. We still have to go through the public hearing process for the plan but I think it will be okay.
I hope to start meeting the neighborhood again and get more information from them on how they feel about the master plan and what we are getting for the park. I will be meeting with the different groups in the neighborhood and ask them what their thoughts on the project and what they want the park to look like. I am going to continue to be a voice for the park in my neighborhood. I hope to learn more about my community, why people live here, and try to get more involved.
I look forward to continuing this adventure and would love to have any support from the community to make it easier. Let me know how you feel about this park, what is your opinion of the project, and what you think about the plan. I look forward to hearing from you and sharing with you.
Post a comment
Thanks for your comment.
One or more of the required fields are empty. Please fill all fields, except for the field .
Please let me know if you want me to respond to your comment.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
About The Blog
About this Park blog: I started writing this blog as a way of documenting my journey as I work on becoming a landscape architect. My goal was to make this information available to anyone, including you, who may be interested in how it is to be in the field. I am hoping the blog serves as a form of documentation and reference for people interested in getting into the profession.
This blog is best viewed with Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox 3 or above.
I am very interested in receiving comments and ideas. Feel free to comment about what you have learned from the blog, what you think I can do differently to make the blog better, or what else you would like to see on the blog.
This blog represents the thoughts and opinions of a person who is starting to become a landscape architect. Any information contained within this blog is mine and mine alone, and should not be attributed to anyone else. The information contained in this blog is intended as general information and is not intended to be relied upon as legal advice.
This blog is not intended to form an attorney-client relationship with any reader of this blog. Any legal consultation that any reader receives from you will be with a licensed attorney in the state that the reader resides.
Follow Blog via Email
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.